Saturday, May 7, 2016

Happy Mother's Day


Dear Ma,

How are you? I have not seen you in so many years that I don't even remember your face. Do you remember me?


I was just a child when my master brought me here. I was so scared. I kept crying for you but you didn't come.

Why didn't you come Ma?


I live with many others like me. Most of them do not know their mothers. We only have each other but in these years, many of them have gone and never come back. It is difficult to make friends here. Everyone is sad or in pain. We could have been friends when we were younger but the whips are quick to break friendships.


I try to everything the Master says. They don't like it if you don't. I have seen many others like me being whipped till they don't feel anything anymore. If you still disobey the master, they take you to the dark room. Nothing ever comes out of the dark room, Ma, only screams.


But I get to travel, I don't see much but I feel that I may be closer to you. Everyone else thinks I am a fool because they say that every time we move, we move away from our kind.


I have heard that many others of our kind have had it worse. I don't know about them. Maybe I have been lucky.

I hope I get to see you someday Ma. Happy Mother's Day.

Thank you for taking the time to read our thoughts on animal abuse in the name of entertainment in India. Nothing is more painful that being separating a mother from her child. Be responsible, prevent animal abuse.


--- The author is Priya Tripathy. She can be reached at ekalpaviram@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment